- What is your overall perception of working with those who are experiencing or are diagnosed with mental illness? (thoughts, feelings, anxieties)
- How do you think this perception could affect your ability to care for persons?
- What do you hope to accomplish during the course of this semester to improve your understanding of psychiatric nursing and working with patients with mental illness?
- Read the article Reducing the Stigma of Mental Illness: https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/261AB4B0FCF056F137883350AF1133BF/S205442511600011Xa.pdf/div-class-title-reducing-the-stigma-of-mental-illness-div.pdf (Links to an external site.)
- How would you define stigma after reading this article?
- Discuss three concepts from the article which could be helpful in reducing the stigma that you, as a nurse, could use in practice when caring for patients with mental illness.
- This question is OPTIONAL: Discuss any immediate or extended family mental illness (do not share names), if known, what is the diagnosis? What is your involvement with that individual?
Guidelines for this paper:
- Please compose a 1-3 page paper using the questions to formulate headings to demonstrate that you are addressing each question. For example, the first heading might be Overall Perception of Patients with Mental Illness
- APA format is required