- read the following letter to the editor:
- I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending someone or their culture. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.
- This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language, and our own lifestyle. This culture has developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
- We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. If you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! In God we trust is our national motto. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, based on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is entirely appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
- We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really dont care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express opinions, and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
- God Bless America.
- Based on the letter, answer the following:
- Who is intended to be included in the We of the last paragraph of the letter?
- Is our society more accepting of some immigrant groups versus others?